Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do an official "Mother's Day post" today, but I decided that I probably should because you know what?  My mom is pretty awesome.

My mom actually IS a cool mom, though.  Seriously.
My mom actually is a cool mom, though.  Seriously.

My mom and I have always had a close relationship.  My parents divorced when I was pretty young, and my mom never remarried.  I'm an only child, so it's been just the two of us for most of my life.  We like to compare ourselves to the Gilmore Girls, though we're slightly less witty and my mom didn't get knocked up at 16.

Okay, we have slightly less amazing hair as well.
Okay, we have slightly less amazing hair as well.



I often wish we lived closer, though.  I moved out when I started college at the ripe old age of 18.  I still came back to my mom's house during breaks (and the occasional weekend), but I was pretty much gone.  After college, I moved back in for about 2 months until I found full-time employment.  She then helped me move into my very first "big girl" apartment.  I was completely on my own (no roommates or anything!) for the first time in my life, which was incredibly liberating ... But once in a while I still needed my mom.

Now we live 1000+ miles away from one another, so it makes it that much harder when I feel like I need her.  Of course we can talk on the phone, text, email, whatever ... But it's not the same.

On the other hand, it makes our visits that much better.  We don't get to see each other that often, but when we do, it's always a lot of fun.  Her last visit was for my wedding in November (it seems like such a long time ago now that I'm writing it down!), and it was so great to have her here.  (Though I really doubt she would have missed it!)

In the bridal suite before the wedding.
My mom and I in the bridal suite before the wedding.




























My mom is amazing because she taught me to be strong and independent.  She always encourages me.  She makes me feel important.  She has always been the one constant in my life ... The person I can turn to when I need a shoulder to cry on, excellent advice, or just someone to talk to about, well, anything.

I hope that one day I can be such a great mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment