Friday, August 29, 2014

Playlist: August 2014

Most of the time when I sit down to create a playlist to share on this blog, I have no idea what my theme for the month is going to be.  The only exception was May's playlist, which came together pretty easily.  I had a really rough month, and I knew I wanted the music I shared to reflect that.  It also helps that I listen to a lot of really sad music, so it wasn't much of a challenge to select at least 10 songs about death.  (If you haven't heard this very depressing playlist, it can be found here.)

This month will be another exception.  I realized on the morning of my birthday that this would be the perfect month to do a "throwback" playlist for this blog.

I know a lot of people never want to be reminded of their high school years, but I actually enjoyed that time in my life (for the most part anyway).  I wasn't the most popular girl in school or anything, but I had a really great group of close friends.  I usually had a boyfriend (though sometimes those "relationships" would only last a month or two), and I eventually found myself in my first really serious long term relationship.  I was involved in a lot of activities, some that I still really miss (drama in particular).  I was also a great student, graduating at the top of my class (something that later allowed me to go to college on a full scholarship).

Although I have a lot of good high school memories, I also have a lot of bad ones.  Some friendships were tested (some didn't survive), some guys were assholes, and I spent a lot of time worrying that I would never be good enough.  I've mentioned before that I've dealt with depression and anxiety for most of my life, and some of my lows in high school were so awful that I could barely get out of bed.  I would literally just sit around in my room listening to music and cry.

The songs I'll be sharing today immediately bring me back to that time in my life.  I can't listen to any of these songs without being swept away in a sea of memories ... Some good, some bad.  These are also bands and artists I still listen to (some more than others), and even now it's hard to escape that flood of emotion when I decide to put on one of these old favorites.

August2014Playlist
Click on the link below to listen to this playlist.


It was really difficult to narrow it down to just a select few songs.  I could have easily made a playlist containing at least 100 songs that I loved as a teenager, but this will have to do.  (At least until I decide to do another "throwback" playlist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment