Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Grilled Steaks with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce and Red Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Eric and I really aren't Valentine's Day people, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the fact that for many couples, the month of February is associated with love and romance.  (Or, if not the entire month, at least February 14th is associated with those things.)

Because of this, I'm going to be writing more posts that fall under the "Love and Relationships" category this month.  Not all of my posts will be related to this topic (I mean, yesterday's post obviously wasn't), but there will probably be a few more posts than usual on those subjects.

Today's post is no different.  While I'm sticking with my usual "Tasty Tuesday" post, I'm going to be sharing a couple of recipes that are ideal for a romantic night in.  (Assuming, of course, that you want to avoid the crowds and the inflated Valentine's Day menu prices.)

Eric and I made this meal together a couple of weeks ago, though it wasn't for a special occasion.  After eating it, though, we were both impressed with ourselves and agreed that it was almost like we were eating at a nice restaurant at a fraction of the cost.

At that moment, I decided I'd save it to post around Valentine's Day.  It's perfect because while it seems fancy, it's really easy to make.  It also comes together fairly quickly, so you won't find yourself slaving away in the kitchen for hours.

GorgonzolaSauce1
I wish the lighting had been better when I took these pictures, but you can at least get the idea.


I don't think I've ever shared two recipes in one Tasty Tuesday post before, but since both of these are so simple and they pair so well, I figured what the hell.  It seemed like a good idea, and hopefully it will help at least a few people who are struggling with ideas for a home cooked Valentine's Day dinner.  (Or, if you're like us, maybe it will just inspire you to do something a little different with the usual "steak and potatoes" dinner.)

Grilled Steaks with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

Adapted ever so slightly from a recipe on Tasty Kitchen.


Ingredient List:
  • 2-4 steaks (We only used 2, but this recipe will definitely make enough sauce to cover 4 steaks.  We used sirloin steaks, but you can use whatever type of steak you like for this recipe.)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 4 oz. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
  • 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Instructions:

1.  Grill the steaks to your desired level of doneness.  I won't detail how to grill a steak in this post because it's one of those things that most people already know how to do (and everyone has their preferred method).  We simply used our little George Foreman grill and they turned out beautifully.  I will say, though, that Eric lightly rubbed our steaks with a little garlic salt and black pepper before throwing them on the grill.  Please note that gorgonzola cheese is very salty, so make sure you don't use too much salt in your rub!

2.  Add the heavy cream, gorgonzola cheese, Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, and ground nutmeg to a small saucepan.

3.  Allow the ingredients to simmer over medium heat, whisking continuously until the cheeses are mostly melted.  (It took about 5 minutes for the cheese to melt in my sauce, and, as you can see from my pictures, there were still a few lumps of gorgonzola.  I was worried about that at first, but the picture from the original recipe I used showed sauce with a few lumps as well, so it's obviously normal.)

4.  Spoon the sauce over the steaks and serve warm.

I mixed some of the sauce into my potatoes after I took these pictures, and it was a fantastic combination!














































Red Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Adapted ever so slightly from a recipe on Allrecipes.


Ingredient List:
  • 8-10 medium red potatoes, cubed
  • 2 garlic cloves (or, if you're lazy like me, the equivalent of jarred, pre-minced garlic)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Garlic salt to taste (I used quite a bit, but I didn't measure it out.  I basically just added some, tasted, added more, tasted, and so on until it was to my liking.)
  • Black pepper to taste (Again, I used quite a bit, but I didn't measure it out.  I also just added/tasted until the potatoes had the flavor I wanted.)

Instructions:

1.  Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and fill the pot with enough water to completely cover all of the potatoes.  Bring the water to a boil and allow the potatoes to cook until fork tender (about 10 minutes).

2.  Drain the potatoes, then place them in a large bowl.  You can use a hand mixer if you like, but I used my KitchenAid Stand Mixer (I used the flat beater attachment.)

3.  Add the butter, then gently beat to combine.

4.  Stir in the minced garlic and gently beat to combine.

5.  Pour in the heavy cream, gently beating to combine.  (As you can see, you'll want to mix the ingredients with each addition.)

6.  Add garlic salt and black pepper to taste.  (I beat the potatoes gently after each addition here as well to ensure everything was well blended.  Again, make sure you taste after adding the spices to determine how much you need.)

Pair these two things with a salad or vegetable (I made steamed broccoli, as you can see from the pictures) and a glass of wine, and you've got a delicious, flavorful, restaurant quality meal.  This was seriously one of the best things I've ever made at home, and, as I said earlier, it would be perfect for Valentine's Day (or any other day when you want to wow your significant other with an amazing dinner)!

1 comment:

  1. […] mentioned in last week’s Tasty Tuesday post that I’d be featuring several posts that fall under the “Love and Relationships” […]

    ReplyDelete