Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Sriracha Chicken Stir Fry

Eric and I love Asian food.  Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, sushi ... We love it all.  When it comes to making Asian style food at home, though, I'm not overly confident.  I can put some simple things together, but I never quite get the flavor combinations to match what I'd get in a restaurant.

Today's recipe is no exception.  Even though it didn't live up to my expectations, it was still a good meal.  It was simple to put together, healthy, and tasty.  I think in the future I'll make more sauce (I like a lot of sauce and the recipe as written didn't have as much as I'd want).  I may also continue to play around with the flavors a bit.  As I said, it was a good meal ... I just think it could be better.

Stirfry4
I was pretty proud of my plating.  Maybe Gordon Ramsay would approve?


I decided to share this recipe on my blog anyway because, while it's not perfect, it's good.  It's a quick meal for a busy weeknight, and I would definitely make it again (with a few changes).

Sriracha Chicken Stir Fry

Adapted ever so slightly from a recipe on Stephanie Cooks.

Ingredient List (Chicken Marinade):
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee brand)
  • 1 tbsp Sriracha
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/4 tsp light brown sugar

Instructions (Chicken Marinade):

1.  Mix all ingredients (except for the chicken) in a small bowl.

2.  Add the sauce to the chicken breasts in a gallon size Ziploc bag.

3.  Toss several times to ensure even coating and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour up to overnight.  (I let mine marinate for 5 hours.)

Stirfry3
I think the dish looks nice even with frozen vegetables.  Or, as Gordon Ramsay would say, "Fresh!  Vibrant!"



Ingredient List (Stir Fry and Sauce):
  • 1 package Steamfresh frozen whole green beans
  • 1 package Bird's Eye frozen broccoli stir fry blend (this blend includes onion, broccoli, red bell pepper, celery, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and carrots)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic (or, if you're lazy like me, the equivalent of jarred, pre-minced garlic)
  • 6 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp Sriracha
  • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 4 cups cooked basmati rice

Instructions (Stir Fry and Sauce):

1.  Add the olive oil, ginger, and garlic to a large skillet and cook for approximately 30 seconds over medium high heat.

2.  Remove the chicken from the Ziploc bag, discarding any leftover marinade.  Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides.  (It's okay if the chicken isn't completely cooked through at this point.)

3.  Remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a cutting board.  Cut it into bite-size pieces, then return the chicken to the skillet.

4.  Continue cooking the chicken over medium high heat until the pieces are completely cooked through.

5.  Add all vegetables to the skillet and turn the heat down to medium.  (Feel free to use whatever vegetables you like, fresh or frozen.  I just listed the types I used.  Side note: I don't like celery or mushrooms, but the Bird's Eye blend didn't have too many of either.  I'd suggest this blend if you want to go the easy route and use frozen vegetables.)

6.  Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally until all vegetables are cooked through.

7.  As the chicken and vegetables are cooking, mix the water, Sriracha, soy sauce, and flour in a small bowl.

8.  Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the skillet and mix thoroughly.

9.  Turn the heat down to low and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens a bit.

10.  Serve with cooked basmati rice.

Stirfry2
Healthy, colorful, and slightly spicy ... Yum!


As you can see from the pictures, I served this meal with a couple of frozen appetizers: crab rangoon and spring rolls.  We'd never tried the frozen ones before, and they were surprisingly good (especially the crab rangoon).  I might try to make my own sometime in the future, but these worked well as a quick side dish fix.  (I'm usually terrible with side dishes, so at least these made the meal more interesting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment