Sunday, August 30, 2015

Restaurants 7/12 and 8/12 in 2015: Which Wich and Toppers Pizza

One of my goals for August was to try at least 2 new restaurants. I knew we'd be going to a nice place for my birthday, but I felt like we should push for at least 2 places this month since I've been falling behind in my goal of trying 12 new restaurants with Eric this year. I thought it would be a really easy goal to achieve (I mean, that only averages out to one new place each month), but I didn't consider other factors like craving something at one of our favorite places or simply not wanting to spend a bunch of extra cash on eating out every month.

Since I really wanted to get caught up on the restaurant goal (and since we can sometimes be too lazy to cook dinner), we actually ended up trying 3 new places this month. We only had one romantic night out, but we discovered a couple of quick, delicious places nearby that are perfect for the nights when we aren't in the mood to make anything but don't want to bother with going out (and don't want to spend a ton of money!).

The first casual place we tried was Which Wich.  

I'm kind of weird about sandwiches. I don't really like them when they're made at home (with the exception of breakfast sandwiches or "fancier" sandwiches that require actual cook time, like a grilled chicken sandwich with avocado spread). I'm not a huge sandwich lover anyway, and I feel like I'm kind of picky when I go to a sandwich place because I usually want something that isn't just sliced deli meat on bread with a few veggies and condiments. (And, speaking of weird, I never put cheese on sandwiches. I eat cheese in other things, of course, but the idea of cheese on a sandwich disgusts me.)

Although I can be a pretty picky sandwich eater, I really wanted to try Which Wich. They offer tons of options that range from the typical chicken salad or club (what Eric ordered) to more unique (for a fast food sandwich joint, anyway) options like Sriracha tuna salad and black bean patties (what I ordered). They also have a bunch of extra items you can throw on your sandwich, and there are only a few that cost extra. (Avocado was, of course, on that list. We love avocado, though, so it was worth the extra money.)

 photo WhichWich1_zps74dzdhjl.jpg

We both loved our sandwiches, but Eric said he probably added too many things to his. When you have a million options, it's easy to go overboard and add all the things! He chose a lot of things that didn't necessarily go well together (Dijon mustard, avocado spread, and hummus), and he thought the flavor kind of got overwhelming. Regardless, he said he'd definitely get sandwiches from Which Wich again ... He'll probably just get one of those things on his sandwich instead of all of them.

If you're curious (and can't read the bags in the picture above), these were our orders:

Eric: Large (14") toasted turkey, ham, and bacon club on wheat with provolone, hummus, Dijon mustard, light mayo, red onions, avocado spread, lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, black olives, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Me: Medium (10.5") toasted vegetarian black bean patty on wheat with hot pepper mix, spicy Ranch dressing, red onions, avocado spread, lettuce, tomatoes, banana peppers, and garlic.

As you can see, I still got a lot of things on my sandwich, but the flavor wasn't overwhelming ... Just perfectly spicy and delicious!

 photo WhichWich2_zpsyff18iyo.jpg

Which Wich has locations throughout the U.S. (as well as some international locations), so if you feel like trying a new sandwich place and you stumble across one of these restaurants, you should definitely give it a try. We'll definitely be going back!

Although I already achieved my goal of trying 2 new places this month, last night we tried another fast food place. We were feeling kind of lazy and planning to stay in and relax, and I hadn't made a plan for dinner. I usually try to come up with a meal plan for the week (or at least have a general idea of the recipes I plan to make), but, for whatever reason, I didn't even think about Saturday night dinner. 

At first I just thought I'd throw in a frozen pizza (we always keep at least one on hand for nights like those!), but then I had a better idea. I found a flyer in our kitchen "junk drawer" for a pizza place we'd both mentioned we wanted to try, and showed it to Eric. I said something like, "We can either make a frozen pizza tonight, or we can finally try this place," and he immediately responded with, "Let's order from this place!"

The place was Toppers Pizza

I was really excited to try this place because they have a ton of unique toppings and sauces. While I can definitely enjoy a classic cheese or pepperoni pizza, my favorite pizzas feature things you wouldn't normally find on a pizza. Because, really, you can put pretty much anything on a pizza and it will taste fucking amazing. 

One of my favorite pizzas of all time is the Couch Potato from Glass Nickel Pizza Co. When I lived in Wisconsin, I ordered this on a fairly regular basis. I tried some of their other pizzas too, of course, but there was nothing like a pizza covered in potato wedges, bacon, and broccoli served with a side of sour cream. (I clearly still think about how delicious this pizza was, and I haven't lived in Wisconsin for almost 6 years. It was really that good.)

But anyway ... Back to Toppers. 

There were a ton of awesome choices, but we settled on a large Brat Topper. This pizza featured a ketchup sauce, sliced brats, onions, pickles, and a spicy brown mustard drizzle. I know that this would sound absolutely disgusting to some people, but it was perfect for us. Every pizza and breadstick order comes with a free dipping sauce, so we tried the bacon honey mustard with our pizza. So good! 

 photo ToppersPizza1_zpszncnzoam.jpg

I was also determined to try the Chocolate Baconstix with chocolate frosting dipping sauce. Eric was kind of "meh" about them, but I managed to convince him (especially after locating a coupon on their website for $3 off!). I'm so glad we ordered these, because they were delicious

 photo ToppersPizza2_zpsyr5lma8x.jpg

I used to think that chocolate and bacon didn't belong together. A few years ago, I was convinced by a friend at work to try a bacon chocolate chip cookie. I was all, "That's gross and weird!" but I tried it anyway. And you know what? It wasn't gross or weird. And I'm not even one of those people who loves to put bacon in and on everything. So seriously ... Even if you think this sounds like the worst combination ever, you should try it sometime. (Unless, of course, you're a vegetarian or vegan.)

We were really happy with our food, and they delivered it at almost exactly the time they said it would arrive (it was actually a few minutes early). They also deliver until 3:00 a.m., which is kind of awesome. I don't stay up that late as often as I used to, but it's nice to know I have options. (And, to be honest, I was up until 3:30 a.m. last night/this morning finishing You. I'll be reviewing that book next week for the Show Us Your Books! link-up.)

We'll definitely be ordering from Toppers again soon!

I didn't anticipate writing so much about food, but what can I say? I really love to eat! I also love trying new places (whether they're fancy or not), and I especially love when those new places are so good that I know I'll become a regular customer. (Though not too regular ... I don't want to gain 100 lbs!)

I'll be back with something completely unrelated to food tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment