Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Tasty Tuesday: Mustard Roasted Potatoes

I know it's 500 degrees outside with 1000% humidity right now (or at least it's been feeling that way in Nebraska lately) and the last thing you probably want to do in such stifling weather is turn on your oven, but I'm sharing this recipe today anyway for a couple of reasons.

First, I rarely share side dish recipes. To be perfectly honest, I usually focus on the main dish and stick with easy sides: salads, Steamfresh veggies, and, yes, even boxed Rice-a-Roni. Eric and I both like all of these things, but I have to admit that sometimes we get a little bored having the same sides over and over. So sometimes it's nice to change things up a bit and try something new.

My second reason for sharing this recipe today is that, despite the fact that it involves roasting potatoes, it feels like a summer side dish to me. It could be that the mustard and potato combination reminds me of potato salad. It could be the knowledge that these potatoes are the perfect compliment to a burger. Who knows? All I know is that it felt right to share this recipe today.

 photo MustardRoastedPotatoes_zpsnywwon5u.jpg

I know that a lot of people don't love mustard. I don't know how that's possible, but I know it's true. (Just kidding. I hate a lot of things that most people enjoy, like cinnamon buns and watermelon. I get that everyone's tastes just aren't the same.)

Anyway, the point is that although these potatoes do have a bit of a tangy flavor, I didn't think they really tasted strongly of mustard. (Eric agreed.) We both love mustard, but, even though that flavor didn't shine through as much as we'd hoped, these potatoes were still damn good.

If you hate mustard, obviously you probably wouldn't want to try these potatoes in the first place. (And I can't say that I blame you.) But, if you even just like mustard a little, I'd say give these a try. (You can always cut the amount of mustard down to 2 tbsp if you're still concerned the flavor will be too strong.)

Mustard Roasted Potatoes

Adapted ever so slightly from an Ina Garten recipe on The Food Network.

Ingredient List:
  • 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 small yellow onion, cut into short, thick strips
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper

Instructions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. 

3.  Place the quartered potatoes on the baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic salt, and black pepper.

4.  Bake the potatoes for 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

5.  At about 15 minutes before the end of cook time, add the yellow onion to the potatoes and stir well to combine. Once you've added the onions, you'll want to check on the potatoes a little more frequently to ensure the onions don't burn.

I personally think that side dishes should be easy, and these potatoes are no exception. Although they require quite a bit of time in the oven, the prep work is minimal and there aren't a lot of complicated instructions or fancy ingredients involved. And, once they're in the oven, you can focus on your main course (as long as you continue to check on your potatoes and stir them once in a while!).

4 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try them, I love mustard! They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely make a variation of this, adding some ground mustard in too. They look delicious.

    I also think side dishes should be easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, potatoes prepared pretty much any way are my favorite thing. I'm also no opposed to hot food in the summer—my grandmother used to always prepare a big pot of soup every time we were all down the shore. These look so amazing, I'm hanging onto this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love potatoes more than all the things.
    we rarely make side dishes, we are very one pot/one dish meal kind of people, and i kind of hate it lately! i want more meals with sides, so thanks for the ideas (i am 0% opposed to steam fresh veggies or boxed rice a roni, i don't actually know what rice a roni is but it sounds like flavoured rice of some sort?). i like mustard on burgers but i have never tried mustard on potatoes.

    ReplyDelete