Monday, April 20, 2015

10 Completely Random Facts About Me

Since I started Divulge and Indulge almost a year ago, I've shared a lot of personal things. Sometimes I've written about specific moments or periods of time, and sometimes I've just shared random thoughts and confessions.

I always enjoy writing these posts, not because they're easy or because they're all about me, but because they're the types of posts I most enjoy reading when I'm looking through other blogs. I think it's interesting to see how alike (or different!) I am from the bloggers I read. These are often the posts that push me to follow someone on Bloglovin, and they're the posts I'm most likely to leave a comment on.

With that in mind, I've decided that I'll kick off the week with a "random facts about me" post.

 photo 10RandomFacts_zpsgjq8tnad.jpg
I always feel awkward posting closeups of my face on this blog, but that's what seemed appropriate for this type of post.
































10 Completely Random Facts About Me


1.  Since I got my learner's permit at 15, I've only been in 2 car accidents. (Thankfully they weren't too serious, and I was never the one at fault!) The weird/random part of this is that I can remember what music I was listening to when both of the accidents happened. (If you're curious, my first accident was in December 2007 and I was listening to "Music Box" by Thrice. My second accident was in June 2013 and I was listening to "Phantom Limb" by The Shins.)

2.  I think in pictures. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's almost as though there's an ongoing movie inside my head. My memories typically play out as though I'm watching them on a screen, which is both cool and a little weird.

3.  I gave up eating chocolate for about 2 years or so. I was 24 when I stopped eating it. I made the decision to cut it out of my diet because I had absolutely no self control. I could seriously sit down with a bag of Reese's miniature peanut butter cups and eat every single one (I wish I were joking). I randomly ate some chocolate at a party a few years ago, and have continued to eat it since then. I kind of wish I'd never started eating it again, but at least I don't eat it every day (or eat an entire bag of candy in one sitting) anymore.

4.  I used to be completely crazy when it came to planning my outfits. I kept a notebook throughout high school and college that detailed what I wore to school each day (including accessories and the way I styled my hair!). The purpose of this was to avoid wearing the same outfit combination to class twice in a semester. Yes, I somehow had that many clothes. I'm still a little weird with my outfit planning, but I typically just try to avoid wearing the same thing to work twice in a 3 week time frame. I don't write it down anymore, so I just rely on my memory. I figure if I can't remember the last time I wore something, no one else can either.

5.  When I was younger, I was flexible enough to twist myself into a human pretzel (legs behind my head, feet crossed and supporting my upper neck and head). I know there's a picture of me doing this floating around somewhere, but I don't know where it is now. Since I've been practicing yoga regularly, I've been regaining a lot of my flexibility. If I'm ever able to make myself into a human pretzel again, I'll definitely share a picture on my blog! (I mean, who wouldn't want to see something like that?)

6.  I have 2 birthmarks. One is a medium size patch of medium/dark brown skin (it gets darker if I'm tan) on the front of my right thigh. The other is in my hair. The eyelashes on my left eye are white blonde (my right eye has black eyelashes), I have a patch of white blonde in my left eyebrow (this is usually covered up with brow pencil), and before I started dying my hair black, there was a chunk of white blonde in the left side of my hair (starting around my temple). I'm sure if I stopped dying my hair it would probably show up again, but that's not going to happen. This is also why I don't leave the house without at least darkening my eyebrows and adding a coat of mascara to my top lashes.

7.  As a kid, I refused to eat cheese or drink milk. As an adult, I'm still pretty picky when it comes to these things. I'll only eat cheese if it has been melted into something and there are plenty of additional elements. For example, I'll eat a quesadilla with meat, peppers, and onions, but I won't eat a plain quesadilla consisting only of a tortilla and cheese. That seems really gross to me. I've also never eaten a grilled cheese sandwich. In fact, I typically order sandwiches and burgers without cheese (unless it's a "fancy" cheese, like gruyere or havarti and completely melted). And I still won't drink milk because I find even the look of it disgusting.

8.  I have incredibly vivid dreams. Many times I won't remember if something actually happened or if it was just a dream. Usually it's something mundane like a conversation where I find myself saying, "Didn't we just talk about this a few days ago?" and the other person looks confused and responds with, "Uhhh no, I don't think so." There were a couple of times back in college, though, where I dreamt I hooked up with someone and couldn't remember whether or not I actually had. One time I just decided to ask the guy since we were pretty good friends. Imagine my embarrassment when he replied, "No, we definitely didn't hook up. But ... You're dreaming about me, huh? How was it?"

9.  I'm an only child, and it shows. (I hate stereotypes, but this one actually rings pretty true for me.) I wish I could say I'm this amazing selfless person, but no. I can be pretty selfish at times and I almost always insist that things be done my way.

10.  I love traveling, and (luckily for me) Eric does too. In the nearly 8 years we've been together, we've been to places in 6 countries (China, Canada, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, and, of course, the U.S.) and done things together in 13 states (Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin). We've both been to other places separately (for example, I've also been to Tibet, Mexico, and a total of 26 states in the U.S.), but I think it's cool that we've had so many opportunities to experience places together since we met in China in 2007. (If you haven't read the story of how we met, you can do so here.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not an only child (but was for six years) and am pretty selfish/insistent on things being done my way. Some of that is a Type A thing I think!

    We also love travelling! We'll hit four countries on two continents next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll start blaming my attitude on the fact that I have a Type A personality. That sounds slightly better than "Well, I'm an only child so ..."

      Delete