Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Trying to Live in the Moment in the Age of Blogging and Social Media

 photo LivingintheMoment_zpslpzkeb62.jpg













































Even though I was only in Florida for a few short days, I decided to take a weeklong break from blogging. Sure, I could have scheduled some posts before I left, but I just didn't have the time or energy to do that ... So I didn't.

While I was away, I took very few pictures. My days and nights were mostly spent lounging around with my friends, talking, laughing, eating, and drinking. It wasn't the most exciting or eventful trip, but it was relaxing and fun ... And that's exactly what I was hoping for.

The thing about blogging is that sometimes it's difficult to just live in the moment. I'm always looking around for something I can photograph to make my posts more beautiful or thinking of the ways in which I can write about my thoughts and experiences.

I think this extends to most people today, though ... Not just bloggers. Just think about every time you log on to Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media outlet. Whether the person blogs or not, you're guaranteed a variety of pictures and/or blurbs detailing everything from vacations and parties to births and graduations to new haircuts and random meals. There's almost no need to interact with anyone anymore since everything you'd ever need to know about them is plastered all over the internet.

I'm not saying I'm any better. I obviously write in this blog, sharing personal thoughts and stories and pictures from my life. I never know if anyone will care about what I have to say (or if anyone will even stumble across my blog at all). Sometimes I feel self conscious about the things I share or the images I post. Once in a while (like now) I feel like I should have spent a little more time taking pictures so that I could have some visuals when I write about something I've done recently. (Because obviously if there are no pictures, it didn't happen ... Or that's what some people like to say, anyway.)

But here's the thing ... I wanted to be present while I was in Florida. I wanted to live in the moment, enjoy the time I had with my friends. I didn't want to waste my time focused on getting the perfect shot or thinking about how I could describe my time away in my blog. 

I have to admit that I did post a couple of pictures on Instagram while I was away ... I guess I just couldn't stay away completely. But, for the most part, I put away my phone and my laptop and just enjoyed myself.

And I'm so glad I did.

2 comments:

  1. I've been taking photos of everything since I got a polaroid camera for Christmas when I was 13...that's 25 years now! It's something I enjoy doing. I usually will walk around any vacation destination solo once during a trip just to take photos! This hobby helps with blogging, but that's not why I do it. For me, part of being present is seeing what I can capture on "film" (not anymore). I agree with you though, taking pictures because you feel like you have to takes you out of the present.

    I'm glad you felt fully immersed and enjoyed your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to become more focused on photography and make it more of a hobby. I love admiring beautiful pictures, but I've never really worked too much to capture my own gorgeous images.

      I think in your case, it makes sense. I have a few friends who are really into photography so it's never weird if they want to stop to take a couple of pictures or if I see they've uploaded 50 new photos on Facebook. I don't feel like they're being pulled out of the moment because that's part of how they experience things.

      I wish I could be more like that sometimes (and not just because it would definitely help with blogging). There are times when I wish I had more pictures of things I've experienced because sometimes the memory alone isn't enough.

      I guess I just need to find a better balance between throwing myself completely into the moment (and forgetting to/not wanting to take pictures) and taking random pictures because I feel like I need something to post on my blog, Instagram, etc.

      Delete