Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Shredded Beef Baked Burritos

Yes, I know I'm posting two beef recipes in a row.  As I said in my last Tasty Tuesday post, Eric and I just purchased 100 pounds of beef so there's a good chance there will be several beef recipes popping up on Divulge and Indulge over the next few months.  (Don't worry if beef isn't your thing, though ... I'll definitely be posting other types of recipes too!)

One of my favorite things to do with beef stew meat is cook it in a crockpot, shred it, and use it in some sort of Mexican or Tex-Mex dish.  It's ridiculously easy, and it always tastes fantastic.

Beefburrito1
I tried to make the burrito look pretty, but I only succeeded in making a "pattern" consisting of random drops of taco sauce.   Oh well ... At least it was delicious!



























Today's recipe is no exception.  These baked burritos were packed with flavor and, as a bonus, they were super easy to put together.  This also made a ton of burritos (I think I got 8 out of this recipe), which was really nice since they reheat well.  I know some people aren't crazy about leftovers, but Eric and I love taking them for lunch (or just having them available on the nights we're too busy/too tired to cook).

Shredded Beef Baked Burritos

Adapted from recipes on Six Sisters' Stuff and Cooking Classy.


Ingredient List (Shredded Beef Filling):
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
  • 1 14.5 oz. can beef broth
  • 1 tbsp garlic salt
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper

Instructions (Shredded Beef Filling):

1.  Place beef, beef broth, and all spices in a crockpot and cover.  (Please note that I typically try to season my crockpot meals a lot in the beginning and sometimes have to add even more after tasting the nearly finished product.  I think crockpot meals and sauces absorb a lot of flavor, but sometimes the flavor doesn't come through as much as I'd like by the end of the cook time.)

2.  Allow the beef to cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.

3.  After cooking, remove the beef from the crockpot and place it on a cutting board.

4.  Shred the beef with two forks (it should be tender enough that it pretty much falls apart).


Ingredient List (Burritos):
  • 1 package 10 inch flour tortillas
  • 1 16 oz. can refried beans (I used refried black beans)
  • 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a cheddar Jack blend)
  • 2 tbsp low fat margarine or butter, melted (I used low fat margarine)
  • Taco sauce (I used Ortega medium taco sauce)
  • Sour cream for serving
  • Guacamole for serving

Instructions (Burrito Assembly):

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.

3.  Warm the flour tortillas in the microwave (I zapped mine for 15-20 seconds) to make them more pliable.

4.  Place a tortilla on the aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and spoon some refried beans onto the tortilla.

5.  Spoon a small amount of diced green chilies onto the beans.  Add some of the cooked shredded beef, a sprinkle of cheese, and as much taco sauce as you like.

6.  Roll the tortilla around the filling and place it seam side down on the cookie sheet.  (I used the melted margarine to seal the seams and brushed the tops of the burritos so they would be crispy.)  Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 until you've used all of the beans, green chilies, meat, and cheese, taking care to place an equal amount of filling in each tortilla.

7.  Bake the burritos for 25-30 minutes, or until the tortillas are a golden brown color.

8.  Top with sour cream, guacamole, and more taco sauce.


Bakedburrito2
The inside of one of my burritos before it was folded up and baked.

I served these burritos with a side of Mexican style rice (from a box, of course).  While this isn't the quickest meal in the world, it is simple and delicious.  If you find yourself craving a beef burrito, please give these a try.  You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment