Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Playlist: September 2015

I've had a few playlist ideas floating around in my head recently, so it was hard to choose which one I wanted to go with this month. After some thought, I decided to go with the one that would be the easiest to throw together. (Yes, I know ... I'm such an awesome blogger.)

I usually don't mind putting a little extra effort into most of my posts, but, as you may have noticed, I've been kind of "meh" about blogging lately. I've been trying to post at least a couple of times each week, but I've either been too busy or too distracted with other things (like tearing through the huge stack of library books I have at home) to give my blog the attention I think it deserves. October should be a slightly less chaotic month for me, though, so hopefully I can work on getting back into a nice blogging groove.

But anyway ... Back to the music.

When I talk about music with other people, one of the most common questions I get is "How did you get into them?" ("Them" being the band or artist we're talking about.) 

I always respond with the song that made me fall in love with that band/artist. Sometimes it's the first song I heard. Sometimes it's a song I heard much later that made me rethink my original opinion. 

For example, Regina Spektor was one of those artists I didn't immediately fall in love with. A friend of mine made me listen to "Samson" years ago and I didn't really like it. Several years after that, "Eet" started playing on one of my Pandora stations and I realized I may have been a little too quick to judge. (And, oddly enough, "Samson" is now one of my favorites.) I guess this is proof that my tastes can change.

So today I'm going to share the songs that made me fall in love with some of my favorite bands/artists. (And trust me, this playlist doesn't cover all of my favorites. I had to use some restraint since I didn't want to make a 50+ song playlist!) 

 photo September2015Playlist_zpsmpfgncrt.jpg

And, since there aren't any Tool songs on Spotify, I'll share this YouTube video. I mean, I couldn't just leave them off the list completely ... They've been one of my favorite bands since I was 13! (Also, their music videos are fucking amazing, so it's not the worst thing in the world to have to post one here.) 


I just rewatched the video while I was working on this post, and I'm still amazed by it. I'm not sure exactly when this video was made, but Undertow (the album the song is from) came out in 1993 ... So it's a safe bet this was made sometime in the early 90s. Now I feel like I need to dig out my Salival DVD and rewatch all of their videos on a bigger screen! (Wow, I'm a such a nerd.)

Okay, moving on to the playlist:



I know that several of these songs were really popular and were probably what drew most people to check out more of that band's/artist's music, but that doesn't make them seem any less special to me.

P.S. If you're reading this post on Bloglovin' and want to actually listen to the music, please click on through to the original post. Apparently the embedded Spotify playlists don't show up properly on Bloglovin', but you should be able to listen to the playlist if you're on my actual blog (assuming you have a Spotify account, of course). And if you don't have a Spotify account, you should get one. It's quick and easy to sign up (and free!), and you can make your own playlists and share music (and listen to all of my playlists, of course). And no, this isn't sponsored ... I just really love Spotify!

2 comments:

  1. You know I love myself a good playlist post. We've established I'm old...so for me, the Nine Inch Nails song that grabbed me was Head Like A Hole. It was unlike anything else I was listening to at the time (1989) when I was obsessed with hair bands, dabbled with a few pop songs, and enjoyed New Wave too. Often, I say that the video for Jeremy is the first music video that (to me) felt like it was bringing awareness to a taboo topic. Unfortunately, it is still so relevant today with all of the gun violence at schools. I dig Marilyn Manson too, but I can't remember one particular song, but it might have been Sweet Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tori Amos. I remember watching the video for "Silent All These Years" in the mornings getting ready for high school (#oldlady) and I was hooked on her after that. And, fun fact, my husband wanted NIN's "Closer" as the song we walked into at our wedding. I vetoed it on the grounds of "I wanna fuck you like an animal" was not appropriate in front of my grandparents. Or parents. Or anyone, really.

    Spotify is the greatest thing in my life. It's actually the only subscription I happily pay for.

    ReplyDelete