Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Herb Butter Rice

Okay, I know what you're thinking ... The picture accompanying this post looks eerily similar to the picture used in last week's Tasty Tuesday post. (And you're right.)

But I haven't lost my mind. I'm not posting the same recipe 2 weeks in a row. This week I'm actually posting about the rice you see under the fish.

 photo HerbButterRice_zpsmrra9dve.jpg

This rice was actually what I would call "a happy accident." I've never claimed to be great at coming up with creative side dishes for my meals ... In fact, I typically serve most dinners with a side salad, Steamfresh vegetables, and/or plain rice. But that gets boring.

When I made the Mediterranean Tilapia, I initially planned to just serve it with plain basmati rice. After some thought, I decided I wanted more flavor so I added some chicken broth to the rice. That didn't seem like enough, though, so I started adding a few more things to the pot. The result was a simple side dish that added just enough extra flavor to perfectly complement the fish.

Herb Butter Rice

A Divulge and Indulge original recipe.

Ingredient List:
  • 2 cups dry white basmati rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp low fat margarine or butter (I used low fat margarine to try to cut some calories.)
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 tsp Mrs. Dash Original blend
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
Instructions:

1.  Add all the ingredients to a large pot.

2.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover.

3.  Allow the rice to simmer for about 15-20 minutes (or according to the instructions on the package of rice you're using, as many will differ).

4.  Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork or spoon. 

A word of warning: this does make a lot of rice (enough for 2-3 meals, depending on how much you eat and how many people you're feeding). It reheats nicely, but if leftover rice isn't your thing, I'd suggest cutting the recipe in half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment