Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Few Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me ...

I've shared a lot of personal posts since starting this blog in April 2014. I've "confessed" a few things, shared some of my blogging fears (as well as described the ways in which I sometimes suck as a blogger!), and talked about how my husband and I first met. A couple of months ago I also wrote a post filled with random facts about me.

It's safe to say that I love personal posts. They can be challenging to write (especially when the question of "How much should I share?" keeps popping into my head!), but I enjoy sharing pieces of myself and my life on this blog.

I also enjoy reading these types of posts on other blogs, so when I saw that Helene was hosting a link-up this week with the theme "You Probably Don't Know ..." I was beyond excited. I'm looking forward to reading what others choose to share and getting to know some new bloggers through this link-up!

Helene in Between



































You probably don't know that when I watch Gilmore Girls now, I still relate most to Rory despite being closer in age to Lorelei. I grew up watching that show (Rory was actually just a year behind me in school), so I was going through (or had just gone through, in some cases) a lot of the same things she was. I also just have more in common with her in general. I too am passionate about reading and writing, I was also an overachieving student, and I was a serial monogamist who wasn't that great at casual dating. (I never slept with a married ex-boyfriend, though.)

You probably don't know that I don't know how to sew. I can't even mend a hole in a sock or sew a button back on a sweater. Sometimes I feel like I should at least try to learn (I mean, it's probably not that difficult), but I really just have no desire to do so.

You probably don't know that sometimes I feel bad about writing bad book reviews. I'm in awe of anyone who has the discipline to finish a novel, and I'm even more in awe of those with the courage to put themselves out there, securing a literary agent and shopping their book around until a publisher picks it up. I haven't been able to do that, so who am I to put down someone else's work? (Though, on the other hand, a bad book is a bad book ... You don't have to be a writer to recognize that.)

You probably don't know that I know a lot of random facts about serial killers. I should probably note that my senior Honors thesis in college focused on the psychology of serial killers, and that involved a considerable amount of research. That was 9 years ago, though (God, I'm old!), and I can still spout off a lot of useless information on this topic. It's just something that interests me (and apparently lots of other people as well, given the popularity of shows like Dexter and Criminal Minds).

You probably don't know that I have a lot of trouble making decisions. And I'm not just talking about life changing decisions (like determining if I'll ever be ready to procreate, for example). This extends to deciding on which restaurant we should go to, what time I should meet up with someone, which book I should read next, which picture I should use in a blog post, etc. It's ridiculous.

You probably don't know that I love seeing my favorite bands and artists live. Okay, you probably do know that if you've looked at some of my music related posts, but you may not know that I love concerts so much that I talked Eric into going to Montreal with me in December 2010 (yes, we went to Canada in the winter!) to see Alexisonfire in concert because they weren't doing a U.S. tour. Totally worth it!

You probably don't know that I often wonder if anyone I know in real life has stumbled across my blog. I've been working on Divulge and Indulge for over a year now and I still haven't told many people in my life about it. But it's not really that difficult to find things online, so I wonder if they've discovered it on their own, and, if so, what they think (and if they'd ever tell me that they found it).

4 comments:

  1. Well I just replied to your comment on my post about loving dark and macabre things and I come here and see you love stuff about serial killers too. That's probably one of my most favorite dark and creepy things. I read a book awhile ago about a serial killer from my area that hasn't been caught. It gave me the creeps but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the book called? Now I'm interested! I've read several true crime books relating to serial killers, and those never fail to give me the creeps. I mean, novels are the product of someone's imagination ... But a true crime book details something horrific that actually happened. So scary!

      Delete
  2. Just found you from the link up :) I'm really interested in the psychology of serial killers too! Also, TERRIBLE at deciding on things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad someone can relate to my indecisiveness!

      And yes, serial killers are fascinating. But it's definitely even more interesting to look into their pasts and try to figure out what triggered those sorts of impulses. Sometimes the scariest part is that there's no clear answer ... That's just who they are. And that's pretty terrifying!

      Delete