Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Mediterranean Tilapia

I didn't know what to call this particular dish. The feta cheese and olive oil gave it some Greek flavor, but I didn't think it seemed like something that should be classified as Greek. And since I'm pretty sure it's not a traditional Greek dish, I decided to just call it "Mediterranean Tilapia."

Regardless of what you call it, this meal is delicious. I made it twice the week before I left for my conference! And, if you know me, you'll know that's kind of crazy ... I usually won't make anything for dinner more than once a week (unless it's leftovers, of course).

 photo MediterraneanTilapia_zpscxpus0dm.jpg
Flaky fish, fresh vegetables, and salty feta combine to make a flavorful, healthy meal.






































I found inspiration for this recipe when I was searching Pinterest for creative ways to use tilapia. We'd just purchased a bunch of tilapia and salmon from Costco, and I didn't want to keep making the same thing over and over. We have a few favorite fish recipes, but I felt like I should be trying some new things. And after I made this and realized just how great it was, I was really glad I decided to branch out!

Mediterranean Tilapia

Adapted from a recipe on Just A Pinch Recipes.

Ingredient List:
  • 2 tilapia fillets
  • 2 cups fresh spinach leaves 
  • 12 grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 tsp capers
  • 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 3 tsp black pepper, divided
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 tsp Mrs. Dash Original blend
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp sea salt
Instructions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.

3.  Mix 2 tbsp of the olive oil, 2 tsp of the black pepper, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash Original blend, and dried parsley in a small bowl.

4.  Rub the olive oil and spice mix on both sides of each fillet.

5.  Bake the fish for 15-20 minutes, or until it flakes easily with a fork. 

6.  While the fish is baking, add the remaining olive oil to a medium pan and turn the heat to medium.

7.  Add the spinach leaves to the pan and cook until wilted. (This should only take 3-5 minutes if your pan is already heated when you throw in the spinach.)

8.  Stir in the grape tomatoes, feta cheese, and capers. Add the sea salt and remaining black pepper, mixing thoroughly. Cook through until cheese is slightly melty (this should only take 1-2 minutes), and serve this mixture on top of the fish.

I love that this meal is simple, healthy, delicious, and quick. It's something I can easily throw together on a busy weeknight, and, for me, that's really important! I served this with a simple green salad and some herb butter rice (that recipe will be coming soon!).

No comments:

Post a Comment