Monday, July 13, 2015

Got a Case of the Mondays? 5 Simple Ways to Get Out of a Funk

Mondays are always the worst days for me. I have trouble sleeping anyway, but winding down from the weekend on a Sunday night (even when that weekend was completely relaxing and low key) is so hard. I then, of course, wake up feeling sluggish and irritable. One cup of coffee isn't enough to get me going, but because I insisted on hitting the snooze button a million times before getting up, it's really all I have time to gulp down.

And then I'm heading off into the morning traffic, which, since I leave pretty early, really isn't that terrible. However, there is inevitably at least one idiot out there who does everything in his/her power to piss me off.

When I finally manage to pull into the parking lot at work, I'm greeted with massive amounts of shit that needs to be done right away. I, unlike a lot of people, am fortunate enough to actually really enjoy my job. I'm busy most of the time, but I always feel accomplished at the end of the day. Mondays, however, are always our busiest days. Factor in my lack of sleep and general grumpiness, and it just feels like a major shit show.

I know it sounds like I'm writing this in order to complain about my first world problems. I'm not. I don't even have "a case of the Mondays." (Well, no more than usual anyway.)

 photo 2014officespace3_zpselqe3pel.gif



















I'm writing this because I think sometimes we all need to give ourselves a boost. We all have days that suck (or that suck the life out of us). As someone who struggles with depression and anxiety, it's not always easy for me to lift myself out of a funk ... But it's important that I at least try.

These are a few of the things I do when I've had a particularly trying day. Sure, these things won't fix my mood when I'm going through a period of major depression ... But they definitely work on the average Monday when I just feel zapped of energy and need to shake my grumpy mood.

 photo WaystoGetOutofaFunk_zpszurypjjx.jpg
Image provided by Unsplash (unsplash.com) and edited by me.

























1.  Hit the gym.

This is the easiest way to naturally boost your mood. I think it's pretty safe to say that most people already know this, but I had to include it anyway because this is usually the first thing I do if I'm feeling sluggish and blah. I feel amazing for the rest of the evening after a great workout. And if I've gone to a yoga class, I also feel more energized and less anxious.

2.  Relax with a book.

If you've read many of my posts, I think you probably already know that I love to read. For me, reading is all about escaping into a completely different world. So when I'm feeling the need to get out of my own head for a while, getting lost in a book is the perfect distraction.

3.  Turn the music up in my car and sing along.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm one of those people you see at red lights completely rocking out in the car. I've always loved music more than most things, so it's probably no surprise that I often use it to boost my mood. There's something particularly satisfying about singing at the top of my lungs in the car, though, especially if I've had a really stressful day.

4.  Wear something new.

While I don't always have the luxury of wearing something new for the first time, I sometimes like to save things for the days I think I'll need a pick-me-up. There's just something about putting on a new outfit or pair of shoes or accessory that instantly makes me feel a little better and more confident.

5.  Write in a journal.

I mentioned that reading can be a great way to escape your thoughts, but what if you want to reflect on them instead? Writing can be extremely cathartic. In fact, I've worked through some of my most serious issues by putting pen to paper and letting every ugly emotion find its way to the page. You don't have to be dealing with something major to get something out of this, though ... Sometimes it just feels good to have a place to vent about whatever annoyed you that day.

As I said, these are just a few simple things I try to do when I want to lift my spirits on a particularly stressful day. They may not work for everyone, but they're quick and easy fixes for me when I find myself feeling really blah.

What are some of your tricks for getting out of a funk?

2 comments:

  1. Good idea to wear something new! Or even if it's not new, maybe something you don't wear often?

    I like to read, take a walk, get a coffee, or paint my nails to get out of a funk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all great ideas. i am the same way, no matter what i do on the weekend i never sleep well on sunday which makes it even harder to get up on monday. i have found i'm more likely to get up early and go to the gym (weights) than go for a run, because my brain can stay asleep for a little while lol.

    ReplyDelete