Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Crockpot Turkey Sloppy Joes and Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

After sharing some of my most embarrassing musical guilty pleasures yesterday, I'm hoping I can redeem myself with today's recipes.

I rarely share two recipes in one post, but I decided I'd make an exception today. These two things don't have to be made together, of course, but I think they're a great combination (especially if you're trying to cut some calories!). 

 photo CrockpotTurkeySloppyJoes_zps2gnuxxiv.jpg

Eric and I have actually made these sloppy joes several times in the past, but I never bothered to post the recipe. I'm not sure why ... They're really good! We like them so much that we even made a huge batch one weekend last fall when we had a bunch of people over to watch a Husker game. They were a big hit, and everyone was surprised when we told them they were made from ground turkey. They don't taste "light" at all, but they're much lower in fat and calories than traditional beef sloppy joes.

And the zucchini? This was quite possibly one of the simplest side dishes I've ever thrown together. It's also one of the healthiest, which was a huge bonus! We usually have potato or pasta salad with these sloppy joes, so it was nice to mix things up and pair them with something lighter.

Crockpot Turkey Sloppy Joes

Adapted ever so slightly from a recipe on Six Sisters' Stuff.

Ingredient List:
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 medium white onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 10.75 oz. can condensed tomato soup
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 tbsp classic yellow mustard
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • Hamburger buns for serving
Instructions:

1.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

2.  Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook until it is no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks.

3.  Toss in the diced onion and green pepper near the end of cook time, cooking until just tender.

4.  Spray the inside of the crockpot with cooking spray.

5.  Drain any excess grease from the skillet, then add the turkey and vegetable mixture to the crockpot.

6.  Add the tomato soup, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, garlic salt, and black pepper to the crockpot. Stir several times to mix thoroughly.

7.  Cook on low for 4 hours.

Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

Adapted ever so slightly from a recipe on Five Heart Home.

Ingredient List:
  • 2 medium zucchini
  • Garlic salt
  • Black pepper
  • Mrs. Dash Original blend
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
(Please note that I didn't actually measure out how much seasoning I used. I just sprinkled my zucchini slices as evenly as possible with each of the 3 seasonings listed. Feel free to use whatever amount you like, but I will say that you shouldn't need much.)

Instructions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2.  Wash and dry the zucchini. Cut the vegetables into slices about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.

3.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spray it with cooking spray.

4.  Place the zucchini slices on the baking sheet, leaving little to no space between them.

5.  Sprinkle them as evenly as possible with the garlic salt, black pepper, and Mrs. Dash.

6.  Add a tiny amount (use your best judgment because I didn't measure out how much I used on each slice) of Parmesan cheese to each of the slices.

7.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. (I only baked mine for 12 minutes because my cheese was melted by then and I didn't want to risk burning them. If you think you'd like the cheese a little more golden brown, I'd suggest leaving them in a little longer ... Just make sure you check on them regularly to make sure they're not getting overcooked or burnt!)

If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal full of the flavors of summer, this is it. And if sloppy joes aren't your thing, I'm sure the zucchini rounds would also pair nicely with chicken or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment